Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolutely Resolved...or something akin.

New Year's Resolutions!

Oh that fateful phrase. Oh those high in the sky like a pie expectations. Oh the places you'll go and the things you'll do...or at least those you imagine you will this January 1, 2010. 2010? How in the world did we get here? Isn't the world suppose to end in 2012? Should I plan my resolutions on a two year plan basis?

One thing's for sure: Out with the old, in with the new.

The majority of Americans list exercise plans and better health, aka loose that fat, in their top five resolutions. This recurring theme shows up every new year actually, since everyone has failed miserably and feels empowered by the changing calendar. It's a new opportunity to burn the old one and pretend that "nothing" never happened. Also, it's a definite must as a way to cope with the extra stuffing taken on (in?) during the holidays:

"Let's just have a little sweet something-after all tis' the season! I'll just have like one...or twelve,"

"Ooo, See's candy...see me eat the candy,"

"This is the only time of year I can order my peppermint-gingerbread-egg nog latte. Yes, I want all three flavors in one drink. Make it non-fat. Whip cream? YES."

"My aunt makes this GREAT dessert using all of the fatty ingredients you can find in your fridge and you just throw em' all together with sugar and a buttery cookie crumble crust in a greased pan. Leave that for Santa and you'll be getting whatever the heck you want."

Ok, that's enough. It's just too bad we didn't get around to this realization during the frosty feasting fetish.

Thus, dieting is a communal rite, added to that are managing money and get a better job, which brings us to reducing stress.

Is it just me, or do all of these carry undertones of "I am completely out of control?"

Because let's face it, since the fall of man and the beginning of human havoc-hindered history, we've been grasping for something solid every since. Sometimes I just want to let myself go, unbrushed teeth, unwashed face, and not even put on my contacts for a day so that I may bumble in blurry bliss and forget things like image, prosperity, or the fate of my offspring.
So what if no one recognizes me because I will definitely not recognize them.

The point is, while we promise ourselves we will be slim and trim, savor financing instead of food, dash to our dream jobs every day, while deeply inhaling air undiluted with distress this 2010, what are we doing to actually bring this about?

"Let your yes be yes and your no be no." Leave a little space for real conviction and we just might find 12:01 AM, January 1st, 2011 a time of resolve rewarded rather than renewed remorse upon review.


No comments:

Post a Comment